In today’s world happiness is the new rich and health is the new wealth. We all know that our health is maintained by our immune system but have you ever wondered that who maintains our immune system? Yes, you are right it is our Brain. Although there are a lot of factors that contribute to the functioning of our immune system, Our brain plays a major role in maintaining the strength of our immunity.
A happy mind is a healthy mind. Thus, if our mind can help us to be healthy then why to opt for medicines? Hence, Mind over medicine is concept that emphasizes on maintaining a happy and positive mindset for efficient working of the immunity. Happiness is the highest form of health and here’s how science justifies it – ‘Whenever we are happy, Endorphins (happy hormones) are released and they bind to endorphin receptors of the immune system and they stimulate the immune system by activating the WBCs to divide, help and protect us from the disease during any pathogen invasion.’
Since people have become more aware about the importance of mental health, they take time to make their soul happy. The healthy happy mindset isn’t inbuilt or a personality trait. It’s a virtue and it can be built. So how do people aim to achieve this wealth?
Ways to have a cheerful and happy mindset are :-
- Music therapy, where listening to moving music causes brain to release dopamine (a feel good chemical). Music evokes emotions and is a great way to come out of a bad mood and can make one happy.
- Reading and listening to inspiring, happy and optimistic stories, movies, etc.
A research says that people are more likely to be optimistic about the future if they read a story of overcoming rather than listening to political arguing.
- Meditation, yoga and positive affirmations can clear negative thoughts.
- Environment matters and what we consume daily also affects our mood. Spending time in nature’s arm can soothe one’s soul and bring the mind at ease.
- Aromatherapy which uses the forces of fragrance to evoke pleasant emotions and memories associated with it.
- Humour therapy, where the concept of laughter is the best medicine is applied to make oneself happy. It also helps the person to combat fear, reduce stress hormones and increase the level of endorphins and immunity.
Unlike medicines these therapies have no side effects. Moreover, the benefits of being happy are not just limited to a single person as whoever is happy will make others happy. No medicine cures what happiness cannot. In one’s life there is so much to be happy about, one just need’s to find their own reason. So worry less and smile more so that you can have a happy mind, a happy life.
(Author of the article Hiral Joshi. Hiral is independent writer & blogger in space of motivation, healthcare & pharmaceuticals. The views expressed in the article are solely those of the author in her private capacity)